Community Outreach and Education
SeniorLAW Center also strives to prevent legal problems from occurring through extensive community outreach and education. Pursuing the belief that many legal and social crises can be prevented through knowledge and outreach to the at-risk community, SeniorLAW Center staff seeks to empower older Pennsylvanians with information about their legal rights and interests so that they may become self-advocates.
To that end, SeniorLAW Center educates seniors on their legal rights at community venues throughout Philadelphia and, through our Pennsylvania SeniorLAW HelpLine, in various diverse areas of Pennsylvania, and distributes educational materials addressing legal issues affecting elders. Topics include:
- SeniorLAW Center Services
- Avoiding Financial Exploitation
- Elder Abuse
- Avoiding Home Repair Contractor Fraud
- Homeowner Issues and Resources
- Grandparent Custody and Visitation
- Wills, Powers of Attorney and Advance Health Care Directives to plan for future medical care, financial decisions, and mental health needs
- Services for Homebound Seniors
- Homeowners Assistance Program services
- Consumer Protection
Presentations are available in English, Spanish and Cantonese.
At present, due to escalating demand for our direct legal services, our community education efforts are focused on prevention of legal problems. We ask for a minimum attendance of 30 participants. If you or your organization is interested in scheduling a community education presentation, please call SeniorLAW Center’s Office Manager, Suzanne Goodwin, at 215-988-1244. Services are free, but we gladly accept donations to cover the expense of our staff’s time.