Approved Forms of Photo ID for Voting

In order to vote under the new voter ID law, you must present one of the following forms of ID:

  • A current Pennsylvania driver’s license, or one that expired after November 2011;
  • A current Pennsylvania photo ID card issued by Penn DOT, or one that expired after November 2011;
  • A current U.S. passport;                                                                                                               
  • A U.S. military or Pennsylvania National Guard photo ID (note: it must include “a designation that the expiration date is indefinite”);                        
  • A U.S. government-issued photo ID, e.g., agency employee, armed services, etc.;
  • A current employee photo ID issued by a Pennsylvania county, city, town, township or borough;
  • A current student photo ID issued by a Pennsylvania college or university (note that only ID’s containing an expiration date can be used. For instance, University of Pittsburgh’s IDs are accepted, but Penn State, LaSalle and Drexel’s are not.); or
  • A current photo ID issued by a licensed nursing, personal care or assisted living facility (note that only ID’s containing an expiration date can be used);

For any of these ID’s, the person has to look like the person in the picture, and the name on the ID has to “substantially conform” to the name on the voter registration record.  Both of these may be problems for some people.

If the person does not have one of these ID’s, they will have to obtain an ID from Penn DOT.  In order to do so, they must produce an original Social Security card and one of the following types of identification:

  • An original birth certificate, i.e., one that has a “raised seal.”  (You can’t use a photocopy or a hospital registration. );
  • U.S. citizenship certificate;
  • Naturalization certificate; or
  • Valid U.S. passport.

In addition to the identification documents described above, the applicant for photo ID must present two forms of proof of residency from the following list:

  • Tax records
  • Lease agreement            
  • Mortgage documents   
  • W 2 form
  • Current gun/firearm permit
  • Current utility bill

Help Support SeniorLAW Center

Your support of SeniorLAW Center helps to ensure that Pennsylvania’s elders may age with dignity and safety, free from abuse and violence, in their homes and neighborhoods.

Watch the SeniorLAW Center Video