And it’s the ability to age with dignity and justice. Elder financial exploitiation is now a multi-billion dollar crisis in our nation. But with 10,000 Americans turning 65 each day, making sure Pennsylvania seniors age with dignity, can age in their own homes, and are safe from violence and abuse is our top priority.
Imagine this. You’ve just retired. You’ve worked hard for more than half of your life, sometimes several jobs. You’ve raised your family. And now you’re ready to enjoy your family, grandchildren, and the peace of this “golden time”of life. You’ve saved, paid your taxes, and done all the things you were supposed to do.
Now imagine waking up and having everything that you worked so hard for gone. Stolen by an exploiter through sophisticated deception. Your home, your life savings, all of your possessions. How would you feel? Who would you call?
Victims of elder abuse and exploitation are three times more likely to die prematurely. Our work saves lives. And we’re a good investment: for every dollar spent on legal aid, there is an $11 return to Pennsylvania and its residents.
This is why we are writing to you today. Because when thinking of your grandmother, grandfather, or a senior in your life, it would be devastating to think about them physically abused, financially exploited, or at risk of losing their home. Or facing alone any of the many other legal crises we handle.
Our senior clients, aged 60 to well over 100, need you.
By supporting SeniorLAW Center, you improve the lives of Pennsylvania’s seniors as you fulfill our nation’s promise of ensuring fairness and justice for all who enter our legal system, regardless of one’s inability to pay.
By supporting SeniorLAW Center, you help us provide educational programs that enable seniors to know their rights, to advocate for themselves, and to avoid legal problems from occurring. This makes the law more accessible and more efficient for everyone.
But most of all, by supporting SeniorLAW Center, you help us fight senior poverty and injustice. Only 1 in 5 low-income Pennsylvanians having a critical legal problem receives legal help from any source, leaving most to navigate the legal system alone. Help us change this to serve the thousands of elders who need us! It’s the secret of aging.
In 2015, SeniorLAW Center had an exemplary year.
Here’s how your continued support will help:
• Representation to over 2,500 low-income seniors fighting for basic human needs of shelter, safety and sustenance: stop elder abuse, financial exploitation, contractor fraud, foreclosure, eviction
• Help for grandparents raising grandchildren who have been abused, neglected or abandoned
• Education for over 1,000 seniors at Know Your Rights workshops in diverse communities, venues and languages
• Providing our services at 8 neighborhood legal clinics at senior centers in neighborhoods throughout Philadelphia each month
• Counseling to over 3,000 seniors through our statewide SeniorLAW HelpLine, a free legal service for seniors in all 67 counties of Pennsylvania: 1-877-PA SR LAW
• Expansion of our innovative pro bono partnerships and volunteer programs, working with over 100 volunteer attorneys and students, building the next generation of advocates
• Advocating locally, statewide, and nationally for elder rights.
But we can’t do it without you.
Your year-end gift to our annual appeal will help us change lives.
Make a gift in honor of a grandparent, parent or another elder who made a difference
in your life.
SeniorLAW Center is the only nonprofit organization in Pennsylvania committed solely
to protecting the legal rights of seniors.
Click here to donate online or call Kristen Wilson at 215.701.3209 to make your donation by telephone! To read a special note from our Executive Director and a special client story, click here. Check out our Top 5 Reasons to Give!