Pursing Justice For Grandparents Raising Grandchildren Project
Part-Time Staff Attorney Position
Founded in 1978, SeniorLAW Center is a dynamic nonprofit public interest legal services organization whose mission is to use the power of the law to seek justice for older people, educate the community and advocate on local, state and national levels. We are the only non-profit agency in Pennsylvania whose sole focus is providing legal assistance to older people and protecting their legal rights. SeniorLAW Center prioritizes the needs of those who are low-income, minorities, limited English proficiency, disabled and those facing other vulnerabilities and challenges. We fight senior poverty, fraud and homelessness, provide protection from elder abuse and financial exploitation, enable grandparents to raise grandchildren, and improve access to justice. Our core values are a passion for justice, compassion, respect, collaboration, courage, creativity, diversity, trustworthiness, and a promise of excellence in all we do.
SeniorLAW Center seeks experienced candidates to join its Pursuing Justice for Grandparents Raising Grandchildren Project. The goal of this federally funded state-wide initiative is to enhance legal assistance for older adults raising young children when birth parents cannot, especially considering today’s opioid crisis. The project is particularly focused on aging adults who would not otherwise have access to legal assistance or resources due to a variety of reasons, such as, economic, geographic, or language barriers. While the initial focus will be on custody and family law matters, the project further aims to offer a holistic approach to meet a variety client needs. Therefore, the project will also address matters of basic human need affecting these intergenerational families which represent a host of practice areas, including, housing, financial stability, life planning, health care, and family violence.
We seek a part-time (20 hours/week) staff attorney with at least two (2) years of legal experience. Familiarity with litigation of custody matters, especially dependency proceedings, is preferred. The ideal candidate will be experienced in all aspects of full representation: Client intake, advice and communication, drafting and filing pleadings, and court appearances. The candidate should possess an interest, ability, and appropriate attitude to deal with the unique challenges of working with older adults. The candidate must possess great interpersonal skills, including excellent verbal and written communication abilities; excellent organizational and database skills; the ability to be a team player, and to meet deadlines. Preference will be given to those demonstrating a commitment to pro bono work, law and aging and/or legal services for low-income communities. The position is based in our Center City office location and working remotely may be a viable option if feasible.
- Under guidance and supervision of the Project Director, provide advocacy and referrals to clients with a focus on advising grandparents and other kinship caregivers in intergenerational custody matters
- Conduct client intake and provision of legal advice and information, both in-person and via telephone, including through the Pennsylvania SeniorLAW HelpLine
- Conduct all phases of case preparation as needed, including: Drafting pleadings, client contacts (verbal and written), trial preparation, and court appearances
- Participate in scheduled staff, legal and community meetings and events, as needed
- Maintain case files and case management software/database
- Keep Project Director updated as to case status and all activities
- Licensed to practice law in Pennsylvania
- At least two (2) years of relevant practice experience, dependency experience preferred.
- Excellent writing, organizational, and interpersonal skills
- Interest and ability to work with older people and persons of different backgrounds
Interested applicants should send their resume and cover letter identifying specific relevant experience and salary range requirements to the attention of Dana N. Goldberg, Esq. via e-mail
to email@example.com as soon as possible. Applications without salary requirements will not be reviewed.
SeniorLAW Center is an equal opportunity employer, which values and seeks diversity and inclusion in all aspects of its work. Persons from diverse backgrounds and orientations are encouraged to apply.